Friday, October 7, 2011

many, many thanks

Since I have the space, I'd like to give thanks where thanks are due. There are plenty of folks who have provided me with the scaffolding to give a successful recital. If I were to thank everyone by name and with description, I could go on forever. For now, I'd just like to give a shout-out to those who have had an obvious and direct impact on this recital. To everyone else, please know that I'm thinking fondly of you.

First and most obviously, Prof. Larry Stomberg. For putting up with me for 3+ years. For taking a chance on the high school senior who couldn't really play the cello and guiding that kid to a senior recital. For bouncing ideas and offering advice. For pushing me to always be better and always be more into the string, dribble the basketball, throw the frisbee, and pet the cat.

My parents, Marvin and Charna Cweibel. For encouraging me to play the cello, even though it meant driving me to school early and picking me up because my cello couldn't come on the bus. For being my parents and doing all those wonderful things parents do. For making a kick-ass reception.

Prof. Marian Lee. For being a fabulous pianist and fabulous at life. Playing with you is such a pleasure! Also, for agreeing that Beethoven is a jerk.

Prof. Russell Murray. For so much, but most pertinent: for acquiring the Baroque cello and suggesting I play the Bach suite on it (and for letting me come over and practice during the summer while the music buildings experienced cave-like climates). For coming to my unofficial preview and "pretending" to listen.

Prof. Phil Gentry. Also for so much, but again, most pertinent here: for encouraging this website madness and giving me lots of great ideas. For being ok with my thesis taking a bit of a backseat in the thick of recital preparation.

Prof. Daniel Stevens. For somehow managing to provide awesome constructive criticism that still manages to be completely heartwarming. For geeking out over atonal Webern with me.

Amanda Talarico. For volunteering to be my personal stylist! For knowing far more than I ever will about hair styles and makeup colors and convincing me that I need to care about these things.

Tons of other people. Thank you all for being you, and helping me be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment