Friday, October 14, 2011

Ground rules and expectations


Since this is a new idea, there aren’t any real established ground rules for acceptable etiquette. Instead of assuming everyone will read my mind, I’ve decided to tell you what you should and shouldn’t do.

Do:
  • Watch the recital. I’ve worked hard on this program, so please do pay it some attention.
  • Use the website. I wouldn’t have made it if I didn’t want you to browse.
  • Click on links and go on tangents. That’s the whole point!
  • Turn the sound off on your device. LED screens are welcome, but ringtones or other internet noises are not.
  • Comment on my posts, and Tweet to my hashtag. Web 2.0 is here to stay!
  • Come back to the site after the concert to see what you missed during the performance. I have links to audio and video materials, and they’re worth checking out (but not while I’m playing!)


Don’t:
  • Use a laptop. I don’t want to seem discriminatory against those who don’t have smartphones, tablets, or iPod touches. Believe me, that’s not the point at all. Even as I type this, I’m distracted by the sound of the key clicks. Imagine the distraction that could be caused by a hundred people in a wet acoustic during a quiet movement of pointillism.
  • Spend all your time on Facebook, e-mail, etc. Some is fine, but please be cool. It is my recital, after all!
  • Answer calls. This should go without saying, but I can’t be too sure! Please, please, please, just hit “ignore.” Whoever it is can wait a couple minutes.
  • Be the first one to clap. This pointer is mostly for my mother, and others who might be in the same boat as she is. If you know that it's time to clap, go ahead and start something. The Philadelphia Orchestra published a brief online guide to concert etiquette. Feel free to observe their points under "Be comfortable," and the second point under "Be courteous." Please ignore the first point in the "Be courteous" section--I want you to use electronic devices, just not with sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment